WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
KEY DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Liaison with existing hosting and network vendors at various levels of detail. Partner with them as-needed to improve their processes, monitoring, capacity planning, and any other details as determined or communicated by engineers
- Act as the project and technical lead for major infrastructure projects such as datacenter build-outs
- Evaluate and determine hardware and software standards (including vendor) for servers, systems integrators, network hardware, external DNS, CDN, etc.
- Track infrastructure budget and spend. Drive appropriate changes to improve cost efficiency
- Monitor the capacity of worldwide serving and data systems. Continually improve capacity measurement
- Along with the rest of the ops team, investigate production alerts as appropriate and solve for both the short and long term
- Work with developers and product owners to advocate for operational improvements in our software stack
- Troubleshoot, investigate, and fix production issues in cloud and hosted environments, including both hardware and internal software issues
- Design and build features to improve systems and personnel scalability
- Participate as an escalation point in an on-call rotation related to core infrastructure
- Design and implement tools, standards, vendors, and processes for in-house physical server management, such as supply chain logistics, spares inventory, and hardware repair
- Help to bootstrap a network engineering team and work closely alongside them for all aspects of global network management and scaling
- Design and improve core services such as system imaging (pxeboot), DHCP, DNS, or virtualization
- 5+ years in an infrastructure or operational role (DevOps, system engineer/administration, SRE, network engineer, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management software such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack, or other types of tools such as Consul
- Big plus if you are familiar with and passionate about next-gen infrastructure scheduling software such as Mesos, Kubernetes, Docker / Swarm, or CoreOS
- Deep experience with physical datacenter infrastructure (such as hardware load balancers, imaging systems, out of band management, DNS)
- Experience working with appropriate vendors to bootstrap a new physical environment: co-location, cabling, network and systems integrators, etc.
- Experience with power and cooling planning and design for physical footprints
- Ability to code in at least one language
- Knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals is required. Intermediate network engineering experience is a big plus
- Experience managing a hybrid Windows and Linux environment, or a willingness to learn one of these platforms
- Experience with agile methodologies and a rapid development cycle
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed
- A desire to seek out needless complexity and remove it
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.